With everyone’s baking gear out and ready these days, banana bread is a natural go-to. this egg-free, vegan-friendly recipe is the perfect textural mid-point between fluffy cake and chewy brownie and a great new take on classic banana bread. Mash them bananas and get started!
Truth be told, I buy bananas mainly to allow them to brown and whip them up into cookies or bread. While I had 4 in my kitchen, I was out of eggs and, given the lock-down, stores were closed. So, I used trial and error on a vegan recipe I had attemped a while ago. Vegan recipes are great, but they can easily go from fluffy and moist to very dense and crumbly.
So I got to my notepad and planned out my first trial, which as it turned out, needed very little modifications! It was fluffy, still had this brownie-like chewy banana texture which I was looking for.
While I didn’t make this vegan myself, this recipe is egg-free and all the ingredients can easily be substituted for vegan ones! Plus, it’s so simple and rich in flavor that you’ll want to whip one up this one bowl recipe the next day!
The bananas are the star of this recipe! Make sure you use the ripest ones you have, the blacker the skin the better! Go for medium-sized bananas, not those huge ones, and not the tiny ones, and you should be fine.
The best part about the banana bread are the variety of add-ins you can throw in. I used chocolate chips and roughly chopped walnuts. However, you can use anything your imagination comes up with and your taste buds desire.
• To make vegan: swap milk for your favorite non-dairy milk.
If you made this recipe at home, let me know how it turned out! Post in the comments below or share a picture on instagram or twitter with the hashtag #hungrybyayesha
Easy, Moist, Vegan-Friendly Banana Bread
- 9″x5″ loaf pan
- 3 medium-sized bananas (appx. 1½ cups mashed)
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil (any neutral oil will do)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp salt
- chocolate chips (as desired)
- Handful walnuts (roughly chopped)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease bottom of 9″x5″ loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the bananas well, then beat together with the sugar, oil, vanilla and milk till well-incorportated.
- Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and stir until just mixed. Be careful not to overmix.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Pour into loaf pan.
- Place into the center of the oven and bake for 45-60 min, or until the surface cracks and becomes golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If surface starts browning but toothpick insterted comes out with batter, cover with foil and continue baking until toothpick insterted comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, losen from the sides of the pan and place on cooling rack. Let cool completely before slicing.