AS A TURKISH TRAVELLER, I VISITED PERHAPS THE MOST SIGNIFICANT ARMENIAN ORTHODOX MONASTERY IN ARMENIA. HAVING BEEN LOCATED 45 KM’S AWAY FROM YEREVAN AND A COUPLE OF HUNDRED METERS FROM THE TURKISH BORDER, KHOR VIRAP WAS ONE OF THE MOST BREATH-TAKING SITES I HAVE EVER BEEN TO!
Khor Virap is one of the most popular spots in Armenia. Two main reasons behind its popularity are its location and religious significance. The monastery is located a couple of hundred meters away from Turkish-Armenian border right near Mount Ararat, it is so close that you can easily discern Turkish soldiers and homes in Turkish soil. As you might think, the view is… SPECTACULAR.
However, what really makes this spot quite prominent is a religous-historical myth in which Saint Gregory the Illuminator who is known to be the first Armenian Saint who converted to Christianity, was imprisoned in the dungeons of Khor Virap for 13 years.
Today, aside from its touristic purpose, Khor Virap is a common spot for traditional Armenian weddings, baptize ceremonies and pilgrimage. Upon visiting here, you might as well see some monks and Armenian Orthodox priests living and practicing their religious ceremonies.
-Tips & What To Expect-
- Khor Virap is one of the holiest sites in Armenia and it represents vital importance for the nation. Moreover, Surp Astvatsatsin Church is an active place of worship. As a result, during your visit, dressing moderately is suggested.
- Getting there early is important to avert crowds and being able to take pictures and walk around comfortably.
- Take a tour to Khor Virap and combine your visit with different touristic spots.
- The village of Lusarat near Khor Virap has some shops where you can get food and water.
- Even tough the tunnel is very narrow, visit the underground pit where Saint George the Illimunator had been imprisoned for 13 years.
- Some locals will approach you and will offer you to release doves for a small fee. They will tell that this is a spiritual practice and doves are hoped to fly to Mount Ararat. It is not a scam however, some see this as animal cruelty.
Summer 08.00 – 20.00
Winter 08.00 – 18.00
-Brief History of Khor Virap-
The first structure of Khor Virap monastery complex was built in 642 CE. The main church Surp Astvatsatsin Church was built in the 17th century and it has been serving as the main symbol of the monastery complex. The iconic dungeon where the first Armenian saint George the Illuminator had been imprisoned for 13 years is still intact on the bottom of St. Gevorg Chapel. You can go down 200 feet to see the small dungeon room where the saint was held, however it is a very suffocating place so if you are claustrophobic, be cautious.
-Where Is It Located?-
Khor Virap is located 45 kilometres away in the remote suburbs of Yerevan. Also, it is only a couple of hundred meters away from the Turkish border, which indeed adds an intriguing vibe. 3 most common ways of transport is taking a cab, going my marshrutkas (minibuses) or taking a tour there. Going all the way there by minibus is the least comfortable and convenient option. I, personally went there by tour which can be around the same prices as taking a cab.
For tours I would strongly recommend you to check HYUR SERVICE company. They provide outstanding service with experienced guides. Moreover, you can combine your visit to Khor Virap with different parts of Armenia by buying an extensive tour package.